Friday, June 23, 2017

Mesa Verde

Ever since I was a young school girl, I wanted to visit Mesa Verde.  It was not to happen until I was making my 70th trip around the sun.  It was early Spring and half of the roads were not open for visitors.  Because the ground has become unstable over the years, no tours to explore the actual dwellings were scheduled.  But I was there, and it was great.


One spot along a hiking trail reveals petroglyphs on a high wall.  They are almost like graffiti.


I was surprised at how many cliff dwellings exist in the area, but the canyons provided a unique, sheltered place for people to live.














The area on top of the dwellings has experienced several forest fires.  In the background are some snow-covered Colorado mountains.  I hope to return to see more of Mesa Verde.


No comments:

Post a Comment