Saturday, January 26, 2013

It began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between. –Diane Ackerman





I woke up this morning believing I was in my bed in Santa Cruz, and that there was an earthquake happening.  It was barely light, but I soon recognized the drone of the ferry motor and knew sort of where I was.  We probably missed much during the night, but I was eager to see what awaited us.  Unfortunately, the weather was typically overcast and occasionally rainy.  We saw land continuously and traversed flat water which was broken now and then by Southern fur seals and many birds.  







Later in the day we passed along the Cordillera de Darwin, the land of glaciers and waterfalls.






After supper we made a stop on the Chile side of Tierra del Fuego at Estancia Vendegaia so that the local men could unload alfalfa.  We wandered off the ferry in the meantime.







Before we passed Ushuaia, Argentina, the wind picked up and made the Beagle Channel waters quite active.



                                          January 24, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment